Learn About the Warning Signs of Oral Cancer
Regular check-ups with your dentist can maintain your oral health and catch potential concerns, including oral cancer. Prevention and early treatment is key in managing this condition. Dr. Chad Slocum and Dr. Sara Lundgaard serve the Millcreek, WA, area at Penny Creek Family & Implant Dentistry, offering routine oral cancer screenings.
What are some warning signs of oral cancer?
- Difficulty swallowing
- Inflamed, red patches in the mouth
- White sores or lesions
- Dramatic weight loss
- Loose teeth or tooth loss
- Heaviness at the back of the throat
- Bleeding that comes and goes
- Changes in the voice
- Chronic hoarseness
- Having a hard time moving the structures of the mouth, like the tongue, jaw and cheeks
Since the mouth heals quickly, lesions or sores in the mouth should generally not take more than two weeks to heal. If your mouth has a growth, bump, or lump that will not go away, contact your dentist as soon as possible.
How can I examine myself at home before my appointment?
- Lift your tongue and check for any discolorations or changes in the texture of your tongue.
- Examine your lips and cheeks for any lumps
- Push two fingers down on the underside of the tongue. At the same time, push two other fingers up underneath the chin. Check to see if there are any bumps or changes in your chin.
- Check the palate of your mouth with your fingers to ensure it is smooth and lesion-free.
- Gently massage your neck to make sure your lymph nodes are not swollen
Have you been looking for signs but you are unsure about the result of your home test? No need to panic. Contact Dr. Lundgaard and Dr. Slocum at Penny Creek Family & Implant Dentistry in Millcreek, WA, at (425) 337-7300 to schedule a consultation.